Ideas & Resources
Welcome to the Ideas and Resources page. This is intended to celebrate a wide range of tested resources and act as a library for your own contributions. If you have recommendations please make contact.
Scroll down to find out more about:
- ANZAC Day
- Child, Youth and Family
- Confirmation and Baptism
- Church Seasons and the Lectionary
- Ascension to Pentecost (Thy Kingdom Come)
- Euthanasia and End of Life Choice Act
- Te Reo Maaori and Te Tiriti
- Prayers for Christian Unity
- Quiet Days and Retreats
- Vocations and Discernment
- Worship and Liturgy
New Ministry Resource
He Akonga - Disciples in Aotearoa New Zealand is now available -learn more.
A new New Zealand Prayer Book
- The Anglicanchildren.com website (made by the amazing Emma in the Diocese of Christchurch) has a great collection bible resources.
- David Csinos from Canada unpacks the topic of Intergenerational Preaching, and how to effectively preach to all ages in this video
- Building on-line community (UCA)
- 'Bouncing Back' - how do we do we help build resilience in our children? Article here (SUNZ)
- Pete Grieg (24-7 Prayer) talking about Family Faith and Prayer
- A Baa-rilliant Adventure is a new Nativity story from a parishioner in the Diocese of Christchurch, illustrated by Zerika van Jaarsveld, and is published by Landing Lights Press.
- SUNZ are preparing a Christmas resource called 'The Certainty of Christmas' - more details here
Bishop John Pritchard (a selection of his books concerning discipleship)
- Practical Theology in Action, SPCK (1996), ISBN 0-281-05012-0
- Living the Gospel Stories Today, SPCK (2001), ISBN 0-281-05365-0
- How to Explain Your Faith, SPCK (2006), ISBN 0-8146-3178-9
- Going to Church, SPCK (2009) ISBN 978-0-281-05810-5
- God Lost and Found, SPCK (2011) ISBN 978-0-281-06352-9
- Why Christianity Makes Sense, SPCK (2014) ISBN 978-0-281-06764-0, eBook ISBN 978-0-281-06765-7
- Dewar, F Called or Collared - An Alternative Approach to Vocation (SPCK, London: 2000)
- Farnham, Gill, McLean, Ward, Listening Hearts : Discerning Call in Community (Morehouse Publishing, Harrisburg: 1991)
- Jones, S, Listening for God's Call (SCM, London: 2014)
- Lay MinistryGooder, P & Rowling C, Reader Ministry Explained (SPCK, London: 2009)
- Deacons Aotearoa website
- D. Michael Jackson (ed.), The Diaconate in Ecumenical Perspective: Ecclesiology, Liturgy and Practice (Sacristy Press, Durham: 2019)
- Brown, R, Being a Deacon Today (Morehouse Publishing, New York: 2005)
- Deacon by design: The ups and downs of an Anglican deacon by Church of England deacon Gill Kimber;
- Remain in Me: Holy Orders, Prayer, and Ministry by Roman Catholic deacon James Keating;
- Women: Icons of Christ by Phyllis Zagano.
- A New Zealand Prayer Book : He Karakia MIhinare o Aotearoa (Collins, Auckland: 1989), pp 885-887
- To explore the theology and ministry of the diaconate in more detail please see these videos.
- Brown, R and Cocksworth, C Being a Priest Today (Canterbury Press, Norwich: 2007)
- Steven Croft, Ministry in Three Dimensions: Ordination and Leadership in the Local Church, 2nd ed (London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2008)
- Pritchard, J, The Life and Work of Priest (SPCK, London: 2007)
- Ramsay, M, The Christian Priest Today (SPCK: London: 2009)
- Smith, M, Steel Angels: The personal qualities of a priest (SPCK, London: 2014)
- A New Zealand Prayer Book : He Karakia MIhinare o Aotearoa (Collins, Auckland: 1989), pp 885-909
- Chapman, M, Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2006)
- Theological Education in the Anglican Communion, The Anglican Consultative Council, What Do Anglicans Believe? (2020)
- Wells, S, What Anglicans Believe: An Introduction (Canterbury Press: 2011)
Lectionary and Annual Rhythm of Worship
- Richard Giles, Times and Seasons :creating transformative worship throughout the year, (Canterbury Press: 2008)
- John G. Stevens & Michael Waschevski, ‘Rhythms of Worship,’ Westminster John Knox, 2014)
- Joan Chittister, ‘The Liturgical Year,’ Thomas Nelson, 2009, p. 16)
- Child and Family friendly Advent/Christmas Resources from Strandz: https://www.strandz.org.nz/adv...
- Craufurd Murray, Journeying Through Advent, Toltech Print
- John V Kruse, Advent and Christmas : Wisdom from St Francis of Assisi, Ligouri (2008)
- Amy-Jill Levine, Light of the World: A Beginner's Guide to Advent (4 Week Study) (2019)
Contemporary Advent Songs
Biblical Text for 2020 | Acts 27:18 – 28:10
“They showed us unusual kindness” (cf. Acts 28:2)
The materials for the 2020 Week of Prayer for Christian Unity were prepared by the Christian churches in Malta, on behalf of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity and the World Council of Churches.
The resources have been adapted for Aotearoa New Zealand by the Catholic Bishops Committee for Ecumenism. They include:
As resources become available they will be uploaded to this space.
- Peter Jackson and Chris Wright, Faith Confirmed: Preparing for Confirmation (SPCK, 2013)
- Stephen Black Akonga : Disciples in Aotearoa New Zealand (Waikato and Taranaki, 2019) - Catechism
- Cottrell, Croft, Gooder and Atwell The Pilgrim Way (Church House Publishing, 2018)
- Cottrell, Mayfield, Sledge, Washington Youth Emmaus (Church House Publishing, 2013)
- Youth Alpha
- Baptism Cube (Church House Publishing)
Talanoa, Telling Our Stories, Kōrerohia A Tātou Pūrakau
"Happiness, sadness, reflection, anger and laugh out loud humour - all can be found in our latest publication. Deep spirituality, theological reflection, profound faith and aroha are also in these pages. Over forty Anglican women , ordained and lay, have written their stories, contributing to a beautiful, moving account of their lives, before during and after the history making decision to ordain women as Priests in the Anglican Church of these islands.
Women were encouraged to write in their own voice, thus revealing the texture of our three tikanga church, and the sacredness of each story." (From the foreword)
Order your copy now for $25.00. Orders of 5 or more are $22.00. Plus postage and packing.
(Stephen Black has 25 copies in the Diocesan Office for purchase and collection - email@example.com)