Ideas & Resources
Welcome to the Ideas and Resources page. This is intended to celebrate a wide range of tested resources and act as a library for your own contributions. If you have recommendations please make contact.
Scroll down to find out more about:
Bishop John Pritchard (a selection of his books concerning discipleship)
- Practical Theology in Action, SPCK (1996), ISBN 0-281-05012-0
- Living the Gospel Stories Today, SPCK (2001), ISBN 0-281-05365-0
- How to Explain Your Faith, SPCK (2006), ISBN 0-8146-3178-9
- Going to Church, SPCK (2009) ISBN 978-0-281-05810-5
- God Lost and Found, SPCK (2011) ISBN 978-0-281-06352-9
- Why Christianity Makes Sense, SPCK (2014) ISBN 978-0-281-06764-0, eBook ISBN 978-0-281-06765-7
- Dewar, F Called or Collared - An Alternative Approach to Vocation (SPCK, London: 2000)
- Farnham, Gill, McLean, Ward, Listening Hearts : Discerning Call in Community (Morehouse Publishing, Harrisburg: 1991)
- Jones, S, Listening for God's Call (SCM, London: 2014)
- Lay MinistryGooder, P & Rowling C, Reader Ministry Explained (SPCK, London: 2009)
- D. Michael Jackson (ed.), The Diaconate in Ecumenical Perspective: Ecclesiology, Liturgy and Practice (Sacristy Press, Durham: 2019)
- Brown, R, Being a Deacon Today (Morehouse Publishing, New York: 2005)
- A New Zealand Prayer Book : He Karakia MIhinare o Aotearoa (Collins, Auckland: 1989), pp 885-887
- To explore the theology and ministry of the diaconate in more detail please see these videos.
- Brown, R and Cocksworth, C Being a Priest Today (Canterbury Press, Norwich: 2007)
- Steven Croft, Ministry in Three Dimensions: Ordination and Leadership in the Local Church, 2nd ed (London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2008)
- Pritchard, J, The Life and Work of Priest (SPCK, London: 2007)
- Ramsay, M, The Christian Priest Today (SPCK: London: 2009)
- Smith, M, Steel Angels: The personal qualities of a priest (SPCK, London: 2014)
- A New Zealand Prayer Book : He Karakia MIhinare o Aotearoa (Collins, Auckland: 1989), pp 885-909
- Chapman, M, Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2006)
- Wells, S, What Anglicans Believe: An Introduction (Canterbury Press: 2011)
Lectionary and Annual Rhythm of Worship
- Richard Giles, Times and Seasons :creating transformative worship throughout the year, (Canterbury Press: 2008)
- John G. Stevens & Michael Waschevski, ‘Rhythms of Worship,’ Westminster John Knox, 2014)
- Joan Chittister, ‘The Liturgical Year,’ Thomas Nelson, 2009, p. 16)
- Joyce Rupp "Little Pieces of Light" (individual study guide) or "The Cup of our Life" (group study guide).
- Henri Nouwen, "Can you drink the cup?"
- Bishop Stephen Cottrell, "The Things he did"
- Sister Wendy Beckett, "The Art of Lent" (work of art and a reflection for every day)
- Ann Weems, "Kneeling in Jerusalem" (poetry)
- Mike Riddell, "With every breath" (practices of slowing down and meditating)
- Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin, "Reconciliation"
- Karen Spoelstra and The Rev Sarah Park, Lent : A Journey to Easter https://lent.nz/welcome
- Lynda Patterson and +Peter Carrell, Gratitude and Grace: Through Lent with John, Theology House
- Alexander Schmemann Great Lent : Journey to Pascha (St Vladimir’s Seminary Press, New York: 1969)
- Stephen Cherry, Barefoot Prayers : A Mediation a day for Lent and Easter (SPCK: 2013).
Ascension to Pentecost
"Thy Kingdom Come is a global prayer movement, which invites Christians around the world to pray between Ascension and Pentecost for more people to come to know Jesus Christ. What started out as an invitation from the Archbishops’ of Canterbury and York in 2016 to the Church of England has grown into an international and ecumenical call to prayer.The hope is that:
- people will commit to pray with God’s world-wide family - as a church, individually or as a family;
- churches will hold prayer events, such as 24-7 prayer, prayer stations and prayer walks, across the UK and in other parts of the world;
- people will be empowered through prayer by the Holy Spirit, finding new confidence to be witnesses for Jesus Christ."
(Information copied from www.thykingdomcome.global/about). To learn more about this event, to sign up, and to download resources for churches/individuals/families please visit the site: https://www.thykingdomcome.global/.
- Craufurd Murray, Journeying Through Advent, Toltech Print
As resources become available they will be uploaded to this space.
- Peter Jackson and Chris Wright, Faith Confirmed: Preparing for Confirmation (SPCK, 2013)
- Stephen Black Akonga : Disciples in Aotearoa New Zealand (Waikato and Taranaki, 2019) - Catechism
- Cottrell, Croft, Gooder and Atwell The Pilgrim Way (Church House Publishing, 2018)
- Cottrell, Mayfield, Sledge, Washington Youth Emmaus (Church House Publishing, 2013)
- Baptism Cube (Church House Publishing)